About the course
The importance of Big Data grows year on year, with sectors including healthcare, manufacturing, retail, administration and others reliant on the insights that accurate data capture and analysis can provide. Study Data Science and Analytics with a Year in Industry at Royal Holloway, University of London and you’ll develop the practical skills needed to handle and analyse data in a wide variety of fields, preparing you for a rewarding career in Big Data.
You’ll study in a department with a strong reputation for research excellence. The Royal Holloway Department of Computer Science was ranked 11th in the UK for the quality of its research publications (Research Excellence Framework 2014), and you’ll have the opportunity to contribute to this leading research culture with your own Individual Project.
This flexible programme gives you the chance to tailor your learning to your own strengths and interests, with a broad range of optional modules including Online Machine Learning, Methods of Bioinformatics and Microeconometrics providing academic scope and variety. You’ll be well-equipped to continue your studies at PhD level, which will place you in a strong position to pursue more advanced, research-based roles upon graduation
Follow your passion for Data Science and Analytics at Royal Holloway and you’ll graduate with a desirable Masters degree from a highly regarded department, as well as transferable skillset that’s both in short supply and in high demand by employers. Our location near the M4 corridor – also known as ‘England’s Silicon Valley’ – means students can develop their skills and experience with a year in industry at some of the country's leading technology institutions.
By electing to spend a year in business you will also be able to integrate theory and practice and gain real business experience. In the past, our students have secured placements in blue-chip companies such as Centrica, Data Reply, Disney, IMS Health, Rolls Royce, Shell, Sociéte Générale, VMWare and UBS, among others.
- Study in a highly-regarded department, ranked 11th in the UK for research publications (Research Excellence Framework 2014).
- Gain invaluable knowledge, experience and contacts with a year in industry.
- Benefit from strong industry ties, with close proximity to ‘England’s Silicon Valley’.
- Graduate with a Masters degree with excellent graduate employability prospects.
- Tailor your learning with a wide range of engaging optional modules
- Data Analysis
- Computation with Data
- Programming for Data Analysis
- Database Systems
- Large-Scale Data Storage and Processing
You will spend this year on a work placement. You will be supported by the Department of Computer Science and the Royal Holloway Careers and Employability Service to find a suitable placement. This year forms an integral part of the degree programme and you will be asked to complete assessed work. The mark for this work will count towards your final degree classification.
- Individual Project
In addition to these mandatory course units there are a number of optional course units available during your degree studies. The following is a selection of optional course units that are likely to be available. Please note that although the College will keep changes to a minimum, new units may be offered or existing units may be withdrawn, for example, in response to a change in staff. Applicants will be informed if any significant changes need to be made.
- Machine Learning
- Methods of Computational Finance
- Software Verification
- Advanced Data Communications
- Fundamentals of Digital Sound and Music
- Intelligent Agents and Multi-Agent Systems
- Semantic Web
- Internet and Web Technologies
- On-line Machine Learning
- Service-Oriented Computing, Technology and Management
- Business Intelligence
- Business Intelligence Systems, Infrastructures and Technologies
- Computational Optimisation
- Methods of Bioinformatics
- Visualisation and Exploratory Analysis
- Financial Econometrics
- Investment and Portfolio Management
- Fixed Income Securities and Derivatives
- Decision Theory and Behaviour.
- The Economics of Banking
- Private Equity
- Applied Probability
- Security Technologies
- Introduction to Cryptography and Security Mechanisms
- Network Security
- Computer Security (Operating Systems)
- Security Management
- Smart Cards, RFIDs and Embedded Systems Security
- Digital Forensics
- Security Testing - Theory and Practice
- Software Security
- Database Security
- Cyber Security
Teaching & assessment
Assessment is carried out by a variety of methods including coursework, examinations and a dissertation. The placement is assessed as part of your degree.
Your future career
Students of Data Science and Analytics with a Year in Industry at Royal Holloway, University of London will graduate with excellent employability prospects in a range of fields.
You’ll develop a range of highly sought-after transferable skills, while our proximity to the M4 corridor technology hub – also known as ‘England’s Silicon Valley’ – gives you the chance to enjoy a year in industry that will pave the way for a rewarding future career. Our recent graduates have gone on to enjoy roles in organisations such as British Aerospace, Microsoft, Amazon and American Express.
- 90% of Royal Holloway graduates in work or further education within six months of graduating.
- Strong industry ties help to provide placement and networking opportunities with some of the country’s leading institutions.
- On-site College Careers Service provides help and support for students.