About the course
Rapid advances in digital technologies and connectivity have changed the landscape of industry to the extent that many believe we are the beginning of a fourth industrial revolution. This digital future will require a new generation of highly computer-literate engineers who can harness the power of digital engineering and take it to the workplace.
This course is a conversion course which aims to enable students from a technical, maths, computing or other related background to equip themselves with the necessary skills and knowledge to enable the deployment of digital systems into high technology organisations.
Individuals who have the skill set to design, implement and support these new ‘smart’ techniques and systems to improve industrial competitiveness will be highly employable.
WHY CHOOSE THIS COURSE?
- Delivered by computing and engineering academics with industry backgrounds
- Access to the Institute of Advanced Manufacturing Engineering.
- High levels of application and practitioner experience.
- Enhanced ability to solve real-world industry related problems both individually and as part of a team.
- This course will participate in a new 10-credit module, Global Professional Development.
As part of this course you will study Global Professional Development, a beneficial new 10-credit module developed in partnership with the CMI. Explore this module's content and benefits here.
WHAT WILL I LEARN?
On the MSc Digital Technology for Engineering you will study the following topics;
- Computer Aided Design
- Robotics and Automation
- Simulation and Optimisation
- Vision Systems and Sensors in Industry
- Industrie 4.0 Group Project
- Human factors and User-centred Design
- Industrial Interoperability, Data and Cyber Security
- Research Methods and Project Introduction
- Global Professional Development (CMI recognised)
- Study Skills and Research Methods
- Individual Project**
**The individual project provides the opportunity to undertake in-depth research in a relevant specialised area under the guidance of an experienced academic supervisor.
HOW WILL THIS COURSE ENHANCE MY CAREER PROSPECTS?
Professional engineering bodies like the Engineering Council and Engineering UK have predicted that the UK needs to create one million new engineers over the next five years to meet the challenges of digital industry. As a result, there is high employer demand for graduates who can introduce and support the next generation of digital technologies, processes and systems and this conversion course equips students with an ideal skill set.
This qualification will be relevant for all industrial sectors including automotive, aerospace, consumer goods, food, clothing and pharmaceutical.
GLOBAL LEADERS PROGRAMME
To prepare students for the challenges of the global employment market and to strengthen and develop their broader personal and professional skills Coventry University has developed a unique Global Leaders Programme.
The objectives of the programme, in which postgraduate and eligible undergraduate students can participate, is to provide practical career workshops and enable participants to experience different business cultures.